Monday, November 24, 2008

Twilight mania



Well ~ I was one of the contributors of the bloody good haul that Twilight produced over it's mega-prosperous opening weekend.
It made over $70 million ($35 million on Friday alone) and the sequel (New Moon) has been green-lighted by Summit Entertainment (yay!)...
Looks like many more Twilight posts in the future.... sorry.

But for those of you who haven't read the books or seen the first movie, again I say: tough.
Get out there and be a part of pop culture.


I've read and heard all kinds of varying reviews on the movie.
My pop culture bible (Entertainment Weekly) gave it a "B" and so I concur.
I won't say it was an "A" - there were some flaws, truth be told.

But I was so enamoured with the books it would have taken something as god-awful as 'Eyes Wide Shut' for me to hate it.

I must say, I liked it quite a bit.
In fact, I'd love to see it again and dissect it a bit further.
But for now -
Here are my thoughts, in a very random order:

*The director (Catherine Hardwicke) did the best she could with the running time of the film.
Even though there were alot of elements from the book I would have liked to see in the movie, it was two hours long already. (Though I could have sat through a longer film)


*Jasper (Jackson Rathbone) looked like Edward Scissorhands throughout the entire film.
Somebody give the boy (undead or not) some Dulcolax.

James, Laurent & Victoria

*The bad vampires totally looked like rock stars - that was cool.
Bummer that we won't see James in New Moon (sorry, spoiler!) - Cam Gigandet is quite a good looking dude, especially without that long blonde hair:



*The scene where Bella joins the Biology class is hysterical (maybe it wasn't supposed to be, but it was)... Edward looks like he's about to spew. His facial expression ("aghast" is all I can describe it as) is just plain funny. He's covering his nose cause he doesn't want to have to smell Bella's scent because it makes him want to devour her... If you hadn't read the book prior, this scene would have been completely confusing to you.

*In the same vein (no pun intended), I think the part from the book where Bella faints at the sight of blood in Biology class (and Edward 'rescues' her and takes her to the nurse) was truly a necessary element that they unwisely left out.
What is more ironic than a girl who can't stand the sight of blood dating a vampire?

*Liked the 'Edward saves Bella from oncoming van' scene. It's where Bella starts thinking 'something isn't quite right here in Forks'.

*Jacob is gonna have to wear lifts for New Moon.
And the boy is only 16 and still looks like a baby.
While he is attractive (more so without the long wig), he isn't exactly casted perfectly - the director should have assumed they would be making New Moon and chosen someone with a bit more weight and height. In New Moon he is (spoiler alert) a tall, hefty werewolf/shape-shifter!

Bella and Charlie greet Billy & Jacob Black

*However, Charlie (Billy Burke) and Billy (Gil Birmingham) were perfectly cast.

*How come Bella and her dad were always eating at the diner?
Didn't she constantly cook for Charlie?
Wasn't that part of her charm?

A rare smile from Bella (Kristen Stewart, with Rob Pattinson)

*Bella didn't smile too much, that's for sure.
In the book she was exceedingly happy most of the time she was with Edward.
In the movie, she looked rather frightened of him in alot of scenes, though she kept insisting she wasn't afraid. Not cohesive.
At least Rob Pattinson was smiling alot more as Edward.
(When he wasn't brooding or lamenting in sorrow at his vampy misfortune, all the while looking like he ate some bad Chinese or something.)
But I still admit he was the best choice for the role. Sure, he can look forboding and creepy, but he is actually a good looking guy.


LOVE the hair.

*We needed a bit more 'Cullen time"

The Cullens:
Emmet, Rosalie, Esme, Edward, Carlisle, Alice and Jasper

I assume we will get more as the films progress... but a bit more development would have been nice - some backstory perhaps? They basically laid it all out in the first book.. to add it in later movies will be awkward.

*The biggest dig I've heard against the film was regarding the special effects, which I agree were sub-par, but I know they had a measly budget this go around.
It will take some doing in the next movie, with shape-shifting werewolves taking center stage.
But with the money it made already, they are well on their way to a bigger budget.

*Loved the scene at the school where Edward says 'I'm going to hell anyway' and puts his arm around Bella - with those shades on, he never looked cooler in the whole film.



*The kissing scene was, for lack of a better word, hot.

In the book there was more where that came from.... think we could have elaborated a bit on those parts.
How about when Edward would crawl under the covers with her and talk? Then she would fall asleep in his arms.
There was no hanky-panky there to worry about, just an intimacy that was somewhat halted in the movie version.
Another great missing scene was when he kissed her the second time and she fainted? That would have been completely appropriate and cohesive to the screenplay.


*Must give a shoutout to the music of Twilight. Great job scoring by Carter Burwell, and the soundtrack songs were placed in the perfect places.
In particular 'Supermassive Black Hole' by Muse - rockin' that Cullen baseball game.
That was the best!


The best scene from the movie was at the very end.
Loved the 'Edward goes for the neck" shot...
Would have been fine to just stop there.
Kind of a cliffhanger...?


*For some info on what will be on the DVD release, here's a link to give you some ideas.
It's an interview with director Catherine Hardwicke, who's already working on extras and deleted scenes for the DVD.

Okay, I'm done obsessing for now.

No comments:

The best e-cards anywhere:

Jacquie Lawson e-cards