Saturday, November 22, 2008

Brand steals the show.



Another Judd Apatow comedy!?
This guy is unreal, the amount of hit comedies he has been involved with in the last few years.

Starting with Anchorman (2004) and moving on to The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005), Talladega Nights (2006), Knocked Up, Superbad, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (all 2007), Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Step Brothers and Pineapple Express (all 2008) - this guy amazes me that he has any comedic thoughts left.

Anyway, I'm actually not much for comedies (to the chagrin of my laugh-loving hubby) but I watch my fair share anyway, because I love him and want him to continue to cook for me :)

I really liked The 40-Year Old Virgin and thought Knocked Up was a raunchy hoot. The others listed above I have not seen, but then again - I'm really not the biggest Will Farrell fan.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was pretty typical 'boy loses girl, boy chases lost girl, boy finds out girl isn't worth it, boy finds new girl' kind of flick, but it had its moments.


cast of Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Peter (played by Jason Segel, who I found out starred in the defunct yet critically acclaimed tv show Freaks and Geeks - produced by none other than Judd Apatow!) is a composer with a tv star girlfriend, Sarah (Kristin Bell of Veronica Mars fame)... they have been together 5 years when she comes home and tells him things are over. This moment is pretty amusing all on its own, since Peter is stark naked when she tells him and he just freakin' stands there...

Sarah then admits there is someone else. She leaves and he is absolutely broken hearted.

After a few rousing turns at the singles scene, Peter's step brother tells him he ought to get away to try to "forget Sarah Marshall"!
So he goes to Hawaii.
Why someone would go to a couples paradise like that is beyond me, but...



Mila Kunis and Jason Segel

In Hawaii he meets the very beautiful resort receptionist Rachel (Mila Kunis), who takes an interest in Peter after he spots his ex, Sarah - who is apparently vacationing with her new boyfriend, rockstar Aldous Snow (played by the hilarious Brit, Russell Brand) at the exact same resort Peter is at. (Seriously, what are the odds... I know, it's a movie).


Kristin Bell and Russell Brand



Rachel lets him stay in a gorgeous suite at the resort (when does this ever happen?) and he firmly decides he will stay there because he's got to move on.

Amidst much sobbing over his failed relationship, spying on his ex and her new lover, and making some other random friends (including a few of Apatow's regulars, Paul Rudd and Jonah Hill) - Peter starts caring for Rachel, and realizes that perhaps Sarah was a shallow, unappreciative snot.

For me, the scenes with Russell Brand - and there are alot - were my favorites. He is a nasty, foul individual in real life so I hear - but holy crap is he a funny actor. His rock star persona was spot-on and downright priceless. It is my understanding that Apatow is developing a spin off of the Aldous Snow character for his own film. It would just have to be funny, I'm telling you.



There were several pretty inane and half-baked moments, like the part where Peter is writing a Dracula Puppet Musical (huh? I just might leave him, too!) , but all in all, it was a pretty humorous 117 minutes.

Check it out.

No comments:

The best e-cards anywhere:

Jacquie Lawson e-cards