Saturday, October 18, 2008

Wistful thinking...

I've been on vacation (from work, didn't go anywhere) this past week, and it's been great, of course.
One of the things I did was go to the movies with my mom.

Now, she said she would go see 'Quarantine' with me, but after thinking about it, I didn't want to be responsible for the bad dreams I know she would still be having if we'd seen that horror movie. Horror movies are not something my mother relishes as much as her daughter does.

Hence, we went to see (at a $4.75 early bird price - I was stoked!) Nights in Rodanthe.


It was Richard Gere and Diane Lane's third movie together (after The Cotton Club and Unfaithful) and you can tell - they always seem like old friends.

More on the movie synopsis in a minute.

I had read the book when it came out some years ago (2002) - Nicholas Sparks is one of the most prolific contemporary (romantic drama in my opinion) novelists of these times.
He has written something like 14 novels - all best sellers.

His very first book would be on the top of my most loved books (The Notebook). Read that one if you haven't. It's great.

Anyway, another engaging aspect of this movie is that it was literally filmed in Rodanthe (pronounced row-dan-thee), which is a small oceanside village on Hatteras Island on the Outer Banks (N.C.).
I was so excited when I learned early last year that they were making this movie - I hoped they truly did use the location specific to the story and not some place in Canada, filling in for the Outer Banks.

When Todd and I went to Hatteras Island last May, they had just wrapped the movie shoot. There were signs and pictures here and there on the island of the stars, sets, and what-not.
I was actually glad they were not filming anymore once we got there, or travel around the undersized island might have been wretched.
After all, there is only one road (and it's a two lane) in and out of Hatteras. Good old Route 12.

The beach house used in N.I.R. is, indeed, in Rodanthe. It is the very first house you come to in a bevy of beach houses in a new-ish development called Mirlo Beach. Most of these houses are quite large, and almost all are for rent. They typically sleep 8 - 10 people, but there are many that sleep 14-16!!
In the movie, the house is called "The Inn At Rodanthe". In real life, it is called "Serendipity"...

You can read a bit about it being used for the movie here.


This is what it currently looks like. And yes, it sits directly on the sand at the edge of the ocean.

It is one of several homes that the hubby and I always gaze at in wonder.
As in, 'wonder what it would be like there in a hurricane?'

For the movie, it got dressed up a bit. Here's a few photos from the set.

Daytime.. with bright blue shutters.



And at night.
And yes, it is always that beautiful there.

What can I say about the plot?
OK...

I have heard alot of negative reviews - saying it is too sappy and predictable. Well it isn't anything the book isn't. It is a romantic story, just deal with it and get out your tissues.

Adrienne (Diane Lane) is going through a separation with her unfaithful husband when she agrees to take care of her friend's coastal inn.
Before she leaves, her husband (played by Law & Order SVU's Christopher Meloni - whom I kept expecting to yell at me or get out the handcuffs...) asks to come back, saying he made a mistake. Adrienne isn't sure that is what she truly wants, despite the children's urgings. She leaves for the inn and says she will think about it.

At the inn, there is already bad weather forecasted when the first and only guest for the extended weekend arrives. Dr. Paul Flanner's life is in turmoil as well (of course)... he is there to meet with a man (Scott Glenn) whose wife died on Paul's operating table during a routine surgery. There is a pending lawsuit and the blame has been placed directly on Paul. He is there thinking he may be able to talk his way out of getting sued.

Paul and Adrienne bond over chicken and wine and the beautiful scenery.
They tell their life stories and feel sorry for each other.
A hurricane strikes and they bond some more over their fear of.... well, DYING I suppose!
They fall in love - (albeit rather quickly!).

There is nothing really new going on here, plotwise. We've all seen this kind of movie before. You know where it is going. Right down to the corner of Sentimental Street and Emotional Alley.
But for me, even though I knew the ending (and I won't spoil it here) I was caught up in their quick love story and the coastal vistas that I have walked myself.
There are some inconsistencies that I could point out, but if you've never been there, you'd never know.
And just as I figured, I was teary by the end. Damn that Nicholas Sparks!

On a side note: The song from Nights in Rodanthe - the one they've been playing on all the commercials - is a great one. 'Love Remains the Same' by Gavin Rossdale (from the band 'Bush', and also Mr. Gwen Stefani) .

So it was a decent movie and it also brought back good vacation memories for me, because no matter which village you stay in on Hatteras Island - they all look just the same when you're down by the water...
I'm sure there are lots of lovely beaches on this continent.
But I don't think I'd stay anywhere else that has such undisturbed, stunning natural beauty.
Matter of fact, I just don't think I'd stay anywhere else, period.

Yes, it always looks like this.


2 comments:

Stewart said...

Wow, what a nice comment on our Hatteras Island beaches! I have been to many many beaches throughout the world, and I always think Hatteras and Ocracoke Island are in the running for "best beaches on the planet!" Of course, not during a storm (whew).

Thanks for the nice review.
Stewart Couch
Hatteras Realty, Inc.
Resident of Buxton, NC

Anonymous said...

Many years ago we discovered Hatteras Island after wasting our time at Va. Beach, Ocean City, etc.
Now I would never go anywhere else! And we have used Hatteras Realty, so I'm familiar with you guys - thanks for reading!
Chris

The best e-cards anywhere:

Jacquie Lawson e-cards