I don't really care much about their personal lives, but I am interested in the roles they play and the impression that their acting has on my life.
Many actors inspire me (as most of you know, Johnny Depp is at the top of my list), but I have always been a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio.
I think he has made admirable choices for the films he has chosen to do, has kept good character (no tabloid trash on Leo), and is a damn fine actor.
Of course, the little boat movie, Titanic, was the role that really introduced Leo to the world, and it is truly a favorite of mine.
However, I am equally (if not moreso) impressed with his work in so many other genuinely stellar roles.
A favorite of mine is 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape"(1993). For those of you who have never seen this gem, it also stars Johnny Depp (as the title character).
It is based on a book by Peter Hedges and tells the story of Gilbert, who lives a tough life in rural Iowa. He is what I would say a primary caretaker of his mentally handicapped little brother (DiCaprio) because their mother is in excess of 500 pounds and doesn't leave the house.
It is based on a book by Peter Hedges and tells the story of Gilbert, who lives a tough life in rural Iowa. He is what I would say a primary caretaker of his mentally handicapped little brother (DiCaprio) because their mother is in excess of 500 pounds and doesn't leave the house.
Sounds like a weird story, and it actually is - but it is so moving, with so many layers- and so well acted you be talking about it long after the credits roll. DiCaprio was nominated for an Oscar for the role and he deserved it. He was literally fantastic in the role and I would call it a must see.
I think it's my favorite part that Leo has played.
After Titanic, of course, Leo got tons of decent roles and eventually began his long-time affiliation with director Martin Scorsese. They have done several films together, all critically acclaimed (Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and 2006's Best Picture- The Departed). He has two more Scorsese directed films on tap as well - Shutter Island and the just announced The Wolf of Wall Street.
I think it's my favorite part that Leo has played.
After Titanic, of course, Leo got tons of decent roles and eventually began his long-time affiliation with director Martin Scorsese. They have done several films together, all critically acclaimed (Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and 2006's Best Picture- The Departed). He has two more Scorsese directed films on tap as well - Shutter Island and the just announced The Wolf of Wall Street.
He has done very few "bad" films (The Beach, The Quick and the Dead, Critters 3!) and tends to be able to recognize quality in scripts and integrity in direction. He has also won praise for The Basketball Diaries, This Boy's Life, Marvin's Room, Catch Me if You Can, Blood Diamond, and more.
Leo reteams with good friend Kate Winslet this winter in Revolutionary Road - which should make all the Titanic fans swoon with glee. They play husband and wife. (Jack and Rose, finally together...)
He is also a dedicated enviromentalist, showing his clout by narrating and producing the film The 11th Hour -a movie about the state of the natural enviroment - along the lines of Al Gore's An Inconvienient Truth.
Poor Leo - he obviously has a tough personal life though, dating nothing but supermodels for the last several years. Must be quite a quandry he's in- (a little realistic sarcasm here...)
Anyway - check out Leo's work. I think sometimes he is overlooked and still thought of as the 'heart-throb' personality he was burdened with in the late 90's after Titanic-mania swept the world.
He has character, smarts, talent, and (ok, it's true-) good looks - everything you want in an actor today.
Mark my words - this man will win an Academy Award someday. I'm sure.
Leo reteams with good friend Kate Winslet this winter in Revolutionary Road - which should make all the Titanic fans swoon with glee. They play husband and wife. (Jack and Rose, finally together...)
He is also a dedicated enviromentalist, showing his clout by narrating and producing the film The 11th Hour -a movie about the state of the natural enviroment - along the lines of Al Gore's An Inconvienient Truth.
Poor Leo - he obviously has a tough personal life though, dating nothing but supermodels for the last several years. Must be quite a quandry he's in- (a little realistic sarcasm here...)
Anyway - check out Leo's work. I think sometimes he is overlooked and still thought of as the 'heart-throb' personality he was burdened with in the late 90's after Titanic-mania swept the world.
He has character, smarts, talent, and (ok, it's true-) good looks - everything you want in an actor today.
Mark my words - this man will win an Academy Award someday. I'm sure.
How times change.....









No comments:
Post a Comment