Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Racing Notes

A few racing blurbs and thoughts:


Happy Retirement to Perfect Drift!

He retires as a 9 year old gelding who won or placed in 26 out of 50 races (that's pretty good odds, people!). He was often a bridesmaid (or should I say usher?), coming in third in the Kentucky Derby, and second in the Whitney Handicap, the Breeders' Cup Classic, and the Pacific Classic (twice)..

He won the Lane's End Spiral Stakes, the Stephen Foster and several other stakes races on tracks all over the USA. He won on both dirt and grass, and was in top quality races for his entire racing career.

He earned over $4.7 million bucks, and in my book, that makes him a racing superstar.

I can't tell you how many times I used him on my fantasy horseracing teams - I 'bet' on him in countless races and with him hitting the board over half the time, he did me proud.

I hope he enjoys his retirement (where he will live out his days on his owner's Kansas farm) and that he gets load of extra apples and peppermints.

I will truly miss him.

***

And on another gelding note:
7-year-old Commentator does it again!

This past weekend, Commentator won the Massachusetts Handicap (truly known as the "Mass Cap" in racing circles) by a rockin' 14 (yes, that's FOURTEEN) lengths, crushing the competition in a runaway at Suffolk Downs, MA.

Trained by Nick Zito and ridden by John Velazquez, Commentator is having a banner year.

Zito declined to say if he would be taking his star to the Breeders' Cup at the end of October, but I am truly hoping to see the old man blow the others out of the water. That would be awesome.
The win at the Mass Cap takes his earnings over $1.8 million.

Congrats!
***
Also:
This weekend Curlin goes for the record.
He runs in the Jockey Club Gold Cup on saturday - if he wins, he will topple Cigar's record of the most earnings ($9,999,815) by a thoroughbred racehorse.
His connections have also mentioned the possibility of Curlin racing as a 5 year old. Now that would make my next year, for sure!


He almost doesn't look real in this photo!
Talk about "on the muscle"...

Go Curlin Go :)
Good luck!

Break the record!


No comments:

The best e-cards anywhere:

Jacquie Lawson e-cards