When Audrey's (Halle Berry) husband Brian (David Duchovny) gets shot and killed in a random domestic argument he was trying to break up, she is understandably crushed. At the funeral, she sees his childhood best friend Jerry- superbly played by Benicio Del Toro- and reconnects on an emotional level she wasn't expecting.
You see, for years she has despised Jerry- a former lawyer no less- because he is a junkie. She always feared Brian's visits to see him, thinking someday he wouldn't come home from the crack-infested neighborhood he lived in. When that happens but through no doing of Jerry's, Audrey finds herself strangely dependent on Jerry to get through her despair. And Jerry, having lost the only person who still thought of him as a friend, is having an equally difficult time getting used to the fact that he isn't going to be there for him anymore. Being near Audrey gives him a sense of hope.
They become friends, in a 'I'll-help-you-through-your-grief-and-you-help-me-with-this-addiction'-kind of way. He moves into the garage adjacent to the house, becomes friends with the neighbor, forms an attachment to Audrey's children - who reciprocate the affection - and at one point, is innocently holding Audrey to help her sleep at night.
But what would a movie about heroin addiction be without a relapse? Well you won't find out because there is a banner one here. Del Toro is one fine actor. Absolutely believeable in his backslide into heroin dependence, he shows many sides of a human being struggling with the fight of his life. Fortunately he has the (desperately beautiful) Berry to help him through.
There's nothing too new in this movie, that's true... but I really thought it was a well-acted drama. The delicate connection that Audrey and Jerry have formed is tested time and again, with varying results. And just when you thought it was going to turn south and become a 'guy sleeps with dead best friend's wife' movie, it deviates in a different direction and stays more true to life.
I don't suppose this is for everyone, but the hubby & I both would have to rate it pretty high on the list of well-acted movies. As it is not a 'feel-good' type of film, don't be expecting everything to come out smelling like roses... but maybe you might get a whiff of lillies.
The title, while not explaining Brian's death like you thought it would, does make sense near the end of the film.
I have to say I liked this alot.


1 comment:
I just watched this Sat. I really liked it, even though I cried most of the time!
Post a Comment