Thursday, February 7, 2008

King (and Queen) of Hearts

An early Valentine recommendation:

If you are into scary reads - I have to tell you to run, don't walk, to your local Borders and pick up the following two novels if you haven't already. They both have a "heart" theme, so I thought them appropriate to mention at this, the most romantic time of the year!

First up is "Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill



Joe Hill - Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel
Joe Hill - Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel




It's a fun trip of a book written by Stephen King's son (didn't you all already know that by now??) - and he is a chip off the old (brilliant) block. In the story, a washed up rock star, with a too young girlfriend and too much free time and money, buys a ghost over the internet. Sounds ridiculous, but so did a possessed car and a rabid dog story, didn't they? This dude has made alot of mistakes in his life, a laundry list of indiscretions, grudges, backstabbings and betrayals - and the ghost is just itching to bring those all up again in his face. It's fast paced (I read it in one day), wicked, and totally satisfying. To say more would spoil it, so I'll leave it up to you.

Second up is "HeartSick" by Chelsea Cain



Chelsea Cain - Heartsick
Chelsea Cain - Heartsick





She's new to the horror genre, and it promises to be a welcome addition. Let's just say if you're more 'Thomas Harris & Silence of the Lambs' than you are 'James Patterson and his prolific redundance', you're gonna LOVE Chelsea Cain.
She effectively creates the best serial killer in years. It's a thrill ride of morbid tortures and mind games. It's gory, disturbing, and just plain excellent. The lead detective on the case is actually a victim of the said killer, and their interplay is what send the book straight to the top of the suspense ladder.
I have heard there is a sequel on the way, and I will be in front of the line to buy it. Take my most honest and humble word for it, read it and you will not soon forget it. You'll be begging for more.

No comments:

The best e-cards anywhere:

Jacquie Lawson e-cards