Saturday, August 23, 2008

Midsummer Derby Thriller!!

This weekend was the 'Midsummer Derby', and to horseracing fans, that means none other than the Travers Stakes at the spa (Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, NY)...

The Travers is the oldest stakes race in America. Older than the Kentucky Derby, The Belmont Stakes, and of course older than any of the Breeders' Cup races.

On the 139th renewal of the prestigous race for 3 year olds, it was a complete and utter thriller!
Colonel John just nipped - and I do mean NIPPED - Mambo in Seattle at the wire. Watching it live, it was too close to call. I've not seen anything like it, not even when Real Quiet lost the Triple Crown by a head bob.
The official call was that The Colonel won by a nose, but it was more like a nose hair! Mambo's jockey thought he won and pumped his fist in victory, only to be let down when the tote board noted #2 (Col. John) as the victor.


Colonel John (inside) nips Mambo in Seattle in the Travers
*photo by Skip Dickstein/BloodHorse


I cannot say I was disappointed - Colonel John has been in my fantasy horseracing stable since early March. Yippee! The third place finisher was my 'derby horse' - Pyro (also in my stable since early spring), who seemed to have a troubled trip but finished up ok. Belmont winner Da'Tara was back in fifth.


The Colonel salutes the wire.
*photo by Coglianese photos/NYRA

In other stakes action, another horse in my stable, Visionaire, won the King's Bishop Stakes. He was all alone at the finish, with a final kick near the 16th pole that showed he was obviously in charge. He beat a great field of nine other horses.
Michael Matz (of Barbaro fame) is his trainer and so it was nice seeing him in the winner's circle again.


Visionaire all alone at the end of the King's Bishop Stakes at Saratoga.
*photo: Adam Coglianese/NYRA


And last but certainly not least, one of my favorite fillies (the other being Proud Spell) won the Personal Ensign Stakes, also at Saratoga, on Friday. The Personal Ensign is named after the undefeated filly of the same name. She won 13 of 13 races back in the mid-late 80's and retired undefeated, a feat that had not been seen in over 80 years, by any horse- male or female.


Ginger Punch (outside) narrowing beating Lemon Drop Mom in the Personal Ensign.
*photo: Coglianese/NYRA


Ginger Punch is the top older female horse in this country -she won the Eclipse award for Champion Older Female last year and is well on the way to repeating this year. At 5, we are lucky that she is still racing. She should get some pretty nice studs (no pun intended) when she finally retires.
I kinda like the sound of Brown Ginger, or perhaps Curlin's Punch.... what do you think?

Ginger Punch is also, you guessed it, in my fantasy stable - so I have had a very eventful and (faux) profitable weekend. And it is not over.
Tommorrow there is some super racing across the country at Del Mar Racetrack, topped off by the Pacific Classic, in which two horses from my stable are running: last year's winner, Student Council -and the impressive Go Between.
I can't really separate the two as far as who will win, and either way I will get points. I think I would give the edge to Go Between - for no other reason than he is the son of the great Point Given.
I'm hoping for a one-two finish either way, as I get points for win-place-show.

Go Baby Go!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great article and great photos of a great race. I blogged it within five minutes of the finish, I was so excited, today I wrote a follow up. You had to think Mambo won it-I sure did. Hope you won some dough. I'm still smarting from being to lazy to bet Denis of Cork in The Belmont.
Dan
http://ismarkevaniermentallyill.blogspot.com/

Christine Hadden said...

I did have a fairly stellar weekend, with the winners Ginger Punch, Hystericalady, Go Between, Colonel John, Pyro(show), and Visionaire... Love it.
The Travers was the closest I've seen without it being a dead heat.
Unreal.
Thanks for the comment!
I like your blog, as well..

The best e-cards anywhere:

Jacquie Lawson e-cards