I just saw a really charming movie called "Once", and really have to give it kudos.

It is a little movie - an independent film made for something like a hundred grand, over in Dublin (that's Ireland for you geography-phobes).
The story is of two people - an Irishman and a Czech immigrant girl who meet on the street. She is selling flowers, he is selling his voice. It takes hold of you from the start and pulls you into their world of various gloomy pasts and current woes. Music brings them together - they start writing and singing with each other and find the joy that is waiting for them, if they are only to open their hearts.
It does not end in typical Hollywood fashion, but to me, that only makes it more real. I thought it was lovely. The stars - Glen Hansard (of the Irish band, The Frames) and Marketa Irglova - are not movie stars. They are musicians. They wrote and performed all the songs from the movie.
It's a very nice, modern musical of sorts that just kind of reminds us that we should strive to achieve our dreams - they might not be so far away.
Can you tell I really liked it? However, if your only idea of a good movie is Star Wars x Titanic - Die Hard + The Matrix, then you'd better not even attempt it. But if your reach goes beyond Pirates of the Caribbean (mind you I love all those films) then you are set.
Anyway, the signature song from the film - "Falling Slowly", won the Oscar for Best Song this year, and their respective speeches was a highlight - a very humble acceptance - of the evening. I love the soundtrack as well. Highly recommended.


No comments:
Post a Comment